To many of us, emo is a relatively new and foreign concept. Read on to know more about the musical aspect of this lifestyle…
Emo started off as a style of music, but changed its course into a way of living where there is complete freedom to be as expressive as one can be. Today it is known to be an offshoot of rock music with frank, confessional lyrics and loud yet melodious music. Emo is the shorter version of “emotional music”, which is usually hardcore punk, grunge, and metal. It is also called the “emotional hardcore” or “emocore”, which originated somewhere in the middle of 1980 in Washington DC.
Bands like Embrace and Rites of Spring started this revolutionary music, and today it is more of a cult than just a musical style. Other than the field of music, the emo culture has built a particular stereotype for itself, where those who practice it dress up in a specific manner, have specific hairstyles and have a certain pattern of living.
- As mentioned above, emo culture has grown out of its roots, which are found in the style of rock and punk music from the 1980s.
- Because of this unique style of music, the bands, musicians, singers, and fans started dressing and living a particular way.
- Therefore, music is a very dominant part of the emo culture.
- Since it has derived its name from the basis of any type of emotion, the music is as varied as the emotions felt by a human being, from childhood to old age.
- There are a list of emotions which living beings can feel, which are sadness, anger, happiness, love, jealousy, naughtiness, playfulness, etc. Explaining all these emotions would definitely be a tough thing to do and that is why it is tough to explain this genre.
- However, a few popular emo bands are very successful in putting these emotions into lyrics and combining them with bold, loud, and often melodious music. The presentation of this music is such that every individual listening to it can relate not only to the lyrics but also the music, and is made to feel comfortable.
- Every emo band has a unique style of music they compose and are well-known for the same. Therefore, since the 80s, it has come a long way and has fused with other varieties of music, such as indie rock, pop, techno, and sometimes even jazz.
- The lyrics of these songs are usually very bold, and talk about death, despair, broken families, loneliness, and other negative emotions. This is so, because every human being suffers from all these emotions and wants to get rid of them. Emo music is comforting, and teaches you to fight till you can.
The Best Bands
There are a few very well-known emo bands which have gained fame due to their unique musical talents. They are capable of making attractive music which the audience can identify with. These bands have come a long way from their humble roots, and are considered as major parts of the emo revolution.
- Billy Talent
- Blink 182
- Bring Me The Horizon
- Circle Takes the Square
- City of Caterpillar
- Dirty Little Monkey
- Jimmy Eat World
- Matchbook Romance
- Moss Icon
- Poison the Well
- Rise Against
- Rites of Spring
- Sense Field
- Senses Fail
- Sum 41
- Texas is The Reason
- The Rocket Summer
- Tomorrow’s Last Hero
With this information about this mushrooming lifestyle and genre, I am sure you have learned a lot. So, go ahead and find out if you would like to switch to this style of music and life!